Thursday, August 9, 2012

The County Fair

I spent an hour at the county fair today.  It was interesting to say the least.  I didn't wander too much.  I was there to spin as part of a demonstration booth.  I got to sit and people watch and visit with passersby.  I had some interesting questions today that sort of made me think about all sorts of issues.  Here is a sampling:

-Did that come from a real sheep?
-Does your foot get tired?
-Do you know how to work that thing?
-How long have you been spinning?

I take the County Fair for granted.  My children have had animals in the fair for a long time.  I usually enter a few things in the fine arts building just to support it.  But it's a really important event.  Once a year, the fair reminds people where things come from.  Real things.  Vegetable and fruit come from gardens.  Quilts, pictures, sweaters and baked goods come from people who still know how to make things and enjoy doing it.  There are a lot of people out there who are very talented in these "old arts".  The things that your Granny did are still worked on and shared.  I enjoyed watching others soak it in and appreciate it unfiltered.

No comments:

Post a Comment