Friday, August 10, 2012

The County Fair pt 2

I was back at my spot in the arts building at the fair this morning bright and early.  I had a wonderful batt to work on and was really enjoying the scene.  Today I got to visit with an assortment of stock show kids, older folks, teachers, and parents chasing their children.  I really love the questions people ask about spinning.  They are genuinely surprised at the process of taking fiber from raw product to yarn.  They are surprised that people still do this sort of thing.  I thought about how interesting it is that people can be in a fair exhibit hall be amazed at the work.

There are a huge number of crafts people in our community and this is only a small sampling of the work that is done.  These people still find satisfaction in taking color, fabric, fiber and thread to produce a unique work of art that is personal to them.  They display these works in their home and give them as presents to family and friends.  I don't know that these are the dying arts that many people commented about today, but certainly they are undervalued arts in a time when you can buy your comforters and clothing at a big box store and never think about the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment