Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Small towns ...

I love living in a small community.  Up until I was 23, I had always lived in or near a larger city.  Things like malls, shopping districts, more than one grocery store, and several shoe stores were common place.  At 23 we moved to a small town where even a Kmart was a relatively new thing.  A McDonalds was new too.  Nearly 3 decades later, there is still one grocery store, one shoe store, a Walmart and a few mom and pop shops.  Oh, and Kmart and McDonalds are still here too.   I am not considered a native because I wasn't born here, but my kids are natives.

A small community means that most people in town have a connection to you somehow.  You know their children from ball teams or dance.  You see them on the street as they drive to work.  You see their dog at the park and know it's name.  Owning a yarn shop in a small town means you know the favorite colors of many people.  You know what they are making for the next grandchild.  You know which people like wool and which people prefer acrylic.  I love meeting and supporting so many talented people.  It's a great way to spend an afternoon and evening.  And I get to play with all the yarn I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment